Author Stephani Hecht - A little nice and a lot of naughty
RSS

Recent Posts

Update
Soooo....I had some books come out
The Chronicles of Shane-Part Four
Update
News, Releases and Updates Galore!

Categories

Total-E-Boud
Wayne County Wolves
powered by

The Sensual World of Stephani Hecht

The Chronicles of Shane-Part Four

“Shane…Shane….Shane!”

Shane jerked, both of surprise and the fact that he’d actually let himself be caught so off guard. That never happened to him.  Or at least, it never used to.

He let out a sigh turning to study the annoyance that had dared to disturbed his daydreaming. While the rest of the coalition called the Fox shifter, Dr. North, Shane preferred to call him, the Devil, Mind-fucker or Dr. Evil. Of course, Shane never bothered to say any of those behind the guy. What fun would that be? No, he said it right to North’s face.

Damned it North had remained stoic through the whole thing and refused to show any emotion. Shane didn’t know whether to be pissed or impressed. In the past, he’d always managed to get everybody in his life to the pissing kittens stage of mad. Even Shane’s mate, Trevor, got angry at Shane and they were mates.

“Did you grow up in Japan?” Shane asked as he batted at a ball of yarn that was on the coffee table.

Hello, irony!

Other than that, the room was as bland as North’s personality. Hell, he didn’t even have the ink blobs pictures. Which would have been a nice way to break up the boring brown furniture, the burnt orange walls and the thick carpet that was…sigh…brown.

“We’re not here to talk about me,” North replied.

Shane went on as if he hadn’t heard. “The reason I ask is because it’s obvious that one of your parents was Japanese, while the other came from China.”

For the first time ever, a flicker of emotion passed over North’s face. It was so brief that had it been anybody else they would have missed it. But, then again, Shane wasn’t just anybody else. He’d been trained to notice things like that. In fact, the skill had saved his ass one more than one occasion.

“I gotta wonder how your grandparents felt about that.” Shane tilted his head to the side.

“I wouldn’t know. My father’s parents never contact us and my mother left right after I was born,” North replied.

While he may have been trying to keep his voice neutral, Shane could still hear the hurt. It made him feel bad. Again, something that never would have used to happen to him. Shit, while he loved having Trevor and Ava in his life, Shane hated how his new-found ability to love made him weaker.

He batted at the yarn as the guilt ate at him. Damn, it! When had he grown so soft? Next, he’d be saving starving kittens and crying that those Sarah McLachlan commercials.

“It could be worse, my mother sold me off to a sadistic monster,” Shane offered in way of repayment.

North sat forward, his forearms resting on his knees. Shane had to admit the guy was pretty hot, in the whole intellectual, I’m-smarter-than-you kind of way. The Fox even managed to make dress pants and a sweater look sexy.   Not that Shane would ever make a move on anybody else. He had Trevor and there wasn’t anything that Shane would ever trade him away for. Shane just could see why certain members of the coalition had it so bad for the good doctor.

“How does it make you feel to know that your mother did that?” North asked.

Shane snorted. “I met the bitch, so I realize that I got the best side of the shitty, stick life threw at me. While my master may have been cruel and meaner than Gacey and Bundy together, it was still better than being with her. At least my master had invested in me, so it was in his best interest to keep me alive.”

“But, didn’t your mother save your life when she sold you in the first place? Otherwise, your father would have killed you before you were even a month old.”

“It was just a moment of softness on her part. I’m sure it was the first and only one she ever had in her short miserable life. I hold no delusions when it comes to her. Plus, there are some that would argue that killing me at birth would have been the more merciful option.”

“Do you believe that? That the world would be better off dead without you?”

Shane grinned down at the ball of yarn. “Have I ever told you about my first kill?”

It was really a hypothetical question, since Shane had never shared that story with anybody. Not even Trevor and Shane knew for a fact that nothing could ever make his mate turn on him.

“No,” North replied, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

Shane had to give the guy some credit. He knew that he was being set up for something, yet he still insisted on pushing on.

“It was a human. Although some would call him a monster. He dealt in the slave market, but unlike most of the others he didn’t deal exclusively in humans or shifters. He bought and sold both. He only had one requirement, that the slaves in question be as young as possible.”

Shane pause, but North didn’t say anything. Rolling the ball of yarn in his hands, Shane continued, “The slaver made the mistake of taking the wrong kid.  Which was really stupid on his part. Even somebody who knows little about how the shifter world works, realizes that it’s a huge mistake to mess with the only son of a Raven leader.”

“So, the Raven hired you to get his son back?” North asked.

“No, he hired my master. I was just the one sent to do the job. It was soooo easy, too. Even for a first time. I managed to sneak in and I gutted the guy before he could even cry for his guards.”

“How were you able to sneak in?” North pressed.

“I disguised myself as one of the slaves.”

North swallowed hard, his face growing pale. “But, you said he only dealt in children.”

“Yes, I did.”

There was a long pause before North let out a soft curse. “How old were you?”

“Ten.”

“Jesus, you were so young.”

Shane shrugged. “You want to know the really twisted thing about the whole thing. I didn’t feel bad about killing. In fact, I never have. I’ve been doing this for more than half my life, yet I never once gave a fuck.”   He finally gave his full attention to the Fox. “Tell me, Doctor, how many session will it take to fix that?”

North just sat there, all deer-in-the-headlights. Shane got up and tossed the ball of yarn at him. North snapped out of it just in time to catch it.

Reaching for the door, Shane said, “Don’t feel bad. You’ve just realized something that I’ve known all along, I’m broken and there’s no fixing me. I’m a monster just like that human. Only I’m evil in other ways.”

Fixing him with a hard glare, North replied, “That’s not true.”

Shane smirked, “What makes you so sure of that?”

“Because a monster would never love Trevor and Ava. I see the way you look at them and I know they mean the world to you.”

Damn, how Shane wanted to believe that. Then he thought back to all the lives he’d taken. Sure, most of the victims had been evil in their own way, but they’d still had souls. So, Shane should feel at least a niggle of guilt. Yet as he searched himself, he found nothing.

Flashing his coldest smile, he said, “Well, as much fun as this chat was. I have a job.”

North shivered, no doubt realized what kind of duty Shane would be performing. Only this time instead of it being because of the orders of his former master, Shane would be doing it to protect the coalition.

“You do realize that you were around the same age,” North called.

When Shane cocked his head in confusion, North continued, “You and Ava. You were around her age when you first killed somebody.”

Letting out a small snarl, Shane snapped, “Ava is nothing like me and she never will be.”

Shane then slammed the door and walked away.

21 Comments to The Chronicles of Shane-Part Four:

Comments RSS
Foretta on Sunday, June 03, 2012 4:42 PM
I love these post... can't wait for the next. Shane and Trevor are my fav in the series! Thanks

Stephani Hecht on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:12 PM
Thank you,Foretta! I love Shane and Trevor, too.

Esther on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:29 PM
Please respond to my question. Is the man on the cover of "A Very Shaney Valentine's Day" suppose to be Shane or Trevor? That man has the features described for Shane since he's thin with big innocent eyes. OR is the man on the cover of "Shane's Fury" Shane? Personally I see the guy on "Shane's Fury" would portray a better image as a Shane for me. Since he's an assassin and feared by everyone I really envisioned him to be a bit bigger.

Stephani Hecht on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:14 PM
Hi, Esther! It's supposed to be Shane. That was the closet image I could find to fit him. Personally I think he's a combination of the two. :-)

Esther on Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:01 PM
Thank you for replying! Ok, I'll try to picture Shane as both. Still really love this series regardless of the images of the people on the front of the books. Really love the pairs Seth & Noah and Chance & Thomas. They seem to leave the biggest impressions :)

Esther on Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:23 PM
Sorry for commenting even though my comment isn't about Shane's story. I was reading "Gage's Awakening" and at the beginning I already felt it was a bit weird. Gage in the story is brown hair with innocent eyes, thin, and small... while the Gage on cover of the story is dark, grayish hair, and alpha looking... the only similarity would probably be the hawk tattoo on the back. To be honest, the cover throws off the image I have of Gage in this story and from his appearance in the other stories. I know he might have been the closest image you could find, but... it made it almost uncomfortable to read knowing how different the Gage on the cover is to the one in my head.

Stephani Hecht on Monday, June 11, 2012 2:37 AM
I wish I had the absolutely perfect model, but since the characters are fictional there is no model out there that is exactly what a character looks like so the artist has to work with what material they have available. :-(

Esther on Monday, June 11, 2012 1:01 PM
Yea, I know. I'm just being picky. Sorry. But the whole humor from Shane and Carson makes up for it. Those two are really funny. Makes me laugh and smile when I read the things they say.

Esther on Monday, June 11, 2012 1:12 PM
Would a story with Tatum and Baxley being mated together be possible? They remind me of a younger version of Shane and Trevor :)

deborah p on Friday, July 20, 2012 12:23 PM
I might be wrong but I thought Run Alger! Run was being released yesterday the 19th of July. If so I can't find it, where I get your books. Did I over liik it or maybe something happened and it was'nt released for sale.

Stephani Hecht on Friday, July 20, 2012 10:49 PM
I am so sorry for the delay. I have been very ill, to the point of having to spend a week in the hospital. I hope to have Alger out in August.

deborah p on Saturday, July 21, 2012 2:15 AM
Sorry to hear you were sick. Hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the information. I'll look for it in August.

instalacje elektryczne łódź on Sunday, July 06, 2014 6:08 AM
Just about all forms of power heater have become significantly popular What's a great deal more, most of us may well also buy wonderful canvases

website on Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:10 PM
Room without doubt is a crucial area in most apartment Their 2 likewise safe and sound, although be mindful of specified recreation, for instance drying wet routine laundry upon them

cash advances newport_news on Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:46 AM
Taking out a money loan on your bank cards is dangerous, expensive, and provides the potential for debt if you are doing not quickly pay back it. Understanding that before you run your bank cards at the ATM could assist you manufacture higher selections with reference to the implies that you just utilize a bank cards money loan.

title loans on Saturday, December 27, 2014 2:06 PM
what is immeasurable even, at interims the occasion you decide on on, you will would love the potential to maneuver over to create of our business most neighboring some individual and you'll fabricate your register stores. Month-to-month a non-open would possibly a little just like the vogue you want that has the potential hear being been readied.

check cashing chicago on Sunday, January 04, 2015 8:20 AM
What specifically is also every day loan? every day loan is also and fast technique to induce some additional money. In most cases, you may merely get a loan of $500. you will get the money by corroboratory your gain offer and your open account credit. it is a risky technique but does not involve your home, car, and various possessions. day loans unit of measurement granted on the promise that the quantity area unit attending to be came back once the recipient will receive his next pay.

emergency first aid at work on Monday, November 30, 2015 10:39 AM
My spouse and i was looking for similar to that, Thanks with regard to placing the truly amazing content about Our body Talks our Mind……I discovered it peaceful fascinating, hopefully you may maintain placing this kind of blogs…

essayroo.com on Monday, September 25, 2017 9:34 AM
Hi ! you just write awesome article i like it very much your way of writing is quite interesting . As i start reading my interest in it increase line by line . Very impressive work . I appreciate you for this . Write some other blog like this i can't wait to read them . Thanks

Australian Essay on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:24 AM
what is unlimited even, at between times the event you choose on, you will love the possibility to move over to make of our business most neighboring some individual and you'll manufacture your enlist stores

instagram online on Friday, December 07, 2018 6:43 AM
This sounds so nice~ I will definitely find this. Thank you for sharing.